A Black man has died in Ireland after being restrained by multiple 'security guards'. His family wants answers
Footage shows Yves Sakila, a 35-year-old Congolese man living in Ireland, being restrained face-down on a Dublin street before his death.
Around 100 people are gathering in Dublin today for a vigil honouring Yves Sakila, a 35-year-old Congolese man who died after being restrained by multiple men, including security guards, last week.
Mr Sakila became unresponsive on Friday (15 May) at around 5 pm after being detained following an alleged shoplifting incident at a nearby retail store.
He was later pronounced dead at Mater Hospital.
Video footage circulating online appears to show Mr Sakila being held face down on the ground by several men for several minutes.
In parts of the footage, one individual appears to place pressure on or near his head and neck area, while others restrain his body and legs.
“The family and the entire Congolese community demands justice,” Mr Sakila’s brother, Corneille Sakila, told local press.
“We were really surprised and shocked to see what happened to our brother in broad daylight, with people watching without helping someone in danger.”
According to Irish reports, police arrived to find Mr Sakila already restrained on the ground while an injured man in his 80s lay nearby after reportedly being knocked over during the incident.
Officers briefly handcuffed Mr Sakila before realising he was unwell. CPR was then reportedly administered at the scene before he was taken to the hospital.
Shane O’Curry, director of the Irish Network Against Racism (INAR), said the organisation was “extremely disturbed” by reports surrounding the incident.
“We are very concerned that this case appears to have the hallmarks of a case of excessive use of force,” he said.
“The death of a Black man in such circumstances is extremely worrying, and we urge the authorities to thoroughly investigate all of the circumstances leading to this man’s death, in order to ensure minority ethnic community confidence in the criminal justice system.”
Marie Sherlock, Labour’s Teachta Dála (MP, effectively) for Dublin Central, also expressed sympathy to Mr Sakila’s family and the wider Congolese community, while raising concerns about the footage circulating online.
“The distressing scenes captured in footage circulated online appear to go way beyond any proportionate response to protecting the public and apprehending a suspect,” she said.
“Harrowing footage of the apprehended man show him to be already subdued by the presence of at least three or more men, before a knee and body weight was applied to his neck and shoulder area. It is shocking.”
Ms Sherlock added that “serious questions” now remained surrounding the death of “a man of colour in our city”.
Alongside a Garda investigation, the incident has also been referred to Fiosrú, Ireland’s police ombudsman, which examines incidents involving death or serious injury connected to police contact.
Fiosrú said its investigation relates specifically to the interaction between Gardaí and Mr Sakila, rather than the actions of civilians involved in the restraint.
The watchdog stressed that a referral does not automatically imply police wrongdoing, but allows investigators to independently assess whether any act or omission by officers may have contributed to a death or serious injury.
Both Gardaí and Fiosrú confirmed their investigations remain ongoing, while police have appealed for witnesses and anyone with video footage of the incident to come forward.
A Gardaí spokesperson said: “Anyone with information is asked to contact Store Street Garda Station on 01 6668000, the Garda Confidential Line, or any Garda Station. Investigations are ongoing”.
Got a news tip or story idea? Submit it via this form. Reader feedback and corrections are welcomed separately here.




