Veteran broadcaster and DJ Trevor Nelson has revealed that he underwent major surgery after being diagnosed with a brain tumour.
The 62-year-old announced in June that he was taking a break from his BBC Radio 2 and 1Xtra programmes because of unspecified health issues.
At the time, Trevor said a routine check-up had led to further tests and that he was concentrating on “getting better”, but urged people not to speculate about his condition.
In a new video shared on Thursday, he disclosed the diagnosis for the first time.
“I was minding my own business and then it was discovered that I had a brain tumour,” Trevor said. “As you can imagine, I was shocked. In fact, my world was turned upside down.”
He said he stopped working while considering his treatment options and underwent “very serious surgery” several weeks later.
“Thankfully, it went incredibly well,” he added.
Trevor has spent the past month recuperating at home and receiving post-operative treatment.
He reassured supporters that he was now “on the mend”, playing golf and returning to the gym.
“I feel great right now. I feel ready to come back,” he said. “You will be hearing me on a radio near you very, very soon.”
Nelson’s announcement prompted messages of support from several well-known figures.
Broadcaster Clara Amfo thanked Trevor’s surgeons and said he was “meant to be here”, while presenter Fearne Cotton added: “We love you, Trev. So happy you’re recovering well.” The Apprentice winner Tim Campbell wrote, “Love, brother,” while rapper Wretch 32 said: “Glad your ok uncs.”
Trevor, who celebrated 30 years at the BBC earlier this year, thanked the thousands of people who had sent messages of love and support during his absence.
Got a news tip or story idea? Submit it via this form. Reader feedback and corrections are welcomed separately here.



